Saturday 27 October 2018

Preteen struggles //stealing & discipline


I need help. I come from a family of 6, my brother doesnt live at home and I do at age 22. My father is currently deployed so it is my mother and I taking care of my two sisters (ages 8 and 11). My 11yo sister has taken up stealing. From friends, family, teachers and most recently restaurants. Every time she is caught she has a privilege taken away but she can earn them back by returning the stolen items and doing chores or writing papers.After this past restaurant incident she had everything taken away from her. Phone, books, TV and friend privileges. My mother had a long discussion with her on Thursday and discussed with me that she would get the phone back Monday if she was well behaved over the weekend.Friday morning I got up to go to work and she was sitting on the front porch waiting for her ride to a special club...with her phone in her hands. I took a photo and sent it to my mom and so last night she had everything taken away. No trick or treating, no Halloween costume, no comicon. The only things left in her room are her bed and drawers of clothes.This morning I'm taking care of them and I went in her room and discovered three stolen and stashed books as well as play dough. I took them and sent her to clean the toy room (I sat with her in there). She never picked up a single thing. I gave her an hour. So after her just sitting there an hour I sent her outside to take leaves. No jacket (its 68 here). I told her she would get a jacket if she started taking leaves and after 12 minutes she did. I went to grab the jacket and she stomped inside demanding one. I sent her back outside to knock on the door and ask politely for a jacket and she is currently refusing. I have jacket and gloves for her just waiting to ask.I am at a loss.So is my mother. We have a tharapist meeting for her on the 6th of November. She shows no remorse. She doesnt cry when shes reprimanded. She manipulates her younger sister into doing her chores or getting her things she isnt supposed to have. I just dont know where to go from here. We really need some suggestions or help. My older brother and I had our moments as well as teens but nothing ever this bad.//quick update before I post. She finally knocked and asked politely for a jacket and gloves. I told her she had to rake the backyard and in 30 minutes she could have lunch depending on how far she gets with the yard. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2qccRTi

No comments:

Post a Comment