Tuesday 30 October 2018

My daughter did something awful online


My 11 year old daughter is consumed by Roblox and fortnite. She is not very social and has ADHD and a learning disability. This makes her depressed. Several months ago I found out that she sent a nude video of herself on to a stranger on Snapchat who messaged her privately on Roblox. I also found out that she was FaceTiming and talking to other people on her iPod. This is after I repeatedly told her to never share her info online and that she could only chat with kids she knows in real life. She deleted the chat before I could see it but I saw the video. It was so awful. I was devastated and all I could do was cry and ask her why she did this. I deleted it and blocked the person. I was afraid to report it because I didn’t know what the repercussions would be. She was sorry and begged me not to tell anyone so I didn’t. I stopped letting her play in the computer and took her iPod away. I could not delete the Roblox account since apparently you can only cancel the account by being inactive for a year. After a while she was very upset and would beg and confront me about why she couldn’t play. It didn’t help that she was still able to play Roblox at school with the same login. And everyone she knows including her younger brother plays. I couldn’t even explain to her father why she couldn’t play. I didn’t want her to become more depressed.Eventually I let her play again if she promised to never do it again. It seems like it’s the only thing that makes her happy. She’s not interested in much else no matter what I offer her. I feel so devastated and am so full of guilt for not knowing what to do about this. It’s my fault. I wasn’t raised in a good home and the solution to everything was a beating and ridicule which I do not do. I simply don’t have the tools. It doesn’t help that I suffer from severe depression and anxiety. I told my therapist about it but she was not of much help because she’s older and never had kids and didn’t quite offer me solid advice. It turns my stomach every time I think about it. I have nightmares about this and am worried about her future.I recently got her into counseling but I have not told the therapist. I don’t want to betray her by bringing it up and making her talk about it yet or if I even should. It’s only been a few weeks so she has not established that much of a relationship with her. I don’t know how to handle the situation. What should I have done then? What can I do now? I am lost. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2yDYBHC

No comments:

Post a Comment