Monday 29 October 2018

Is it okay for family to post photos of my infant son in the NICU?


Hi there -- he's doing pretty darn well and he's beautiful! But he's in the intensive care unit. He has tubes coming in and out of him and he's surrounded by vital diagnostic machines. We knew at 15 weeks he was going to be born with an serious abdominal wall defect called, an omphalocele. We tried to prepare ourselves for an extensive hospital stay, surgeries etc., and then he arrived early at 33wks. Needless to say the emotions that have come with having a critically ill newborn are reoccurring for us both, and still very fresh. This is especially difficult for my wife, so i'm reluctant to mention it - Its been difficult for us as a couple especially since he was born. Ive been feeling anger/sadness/anxiety about his situation, so maybe i'm just reacting to my in-laws pictures of him in response those emotions. I don't know. He's been there a little over a month, and while my wife is able to visit whenever, I am not because of work. I'm self employed and work freelance on the side whenever possible. I guess what i'm wondering is if you think i'm just being jealous of the time they're spending with him -- or have they crossed some sort of line by not asking if it was okay to post pictures of him to instagram. My wife doesn't have an issue with them doing it and I think she sees it as supportive and endearing. I know they are very proud-grandmas and auties, as we are, too. And I want to believe they have the best intentions; but isn't instagram about getting likes from your followers, and then, are they actually being supportive? To me it feels like its about them. It feels disrespectful. Thanks for your feedback. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2OfPe5Z

No comments:

Post a Comment