Wednesday 31 October 2018

2.5 year old inconsolable in middle of night - NOT night terrors


My 2.5 year old wakes up every single night in the middle of the night crying and is totally inconsolable for up to 2 hours. It’s definitely not a night terror because she is totally awake and communicating with us. She has had night terrors before and this is nothing like that.She will cry over any little thing, and she won’t stop. Her blanket isn’t covering her feet properly. She can’t find her cup of water which is right next to her. She wants to watch Peppa Pig. She doesn’t like her pillow. Her nose is running. Literally any small thing could set her off. We’ve tried talking through it, but we can’t get her to stop crying throughout this. Even if she calms down for a moment, it’s only for some other small thing to set her off moments later.Tonight as she was crying, she kept telling me how sad she was and how she couldn’t stop crying. We ask her what’s wrong, but even when we solve whatever she says or talk to her soothingly, the crying carries on. She will often start sometime between midnight and 1 and finish up between 2 and 3.I am going crazy. She’s never been a good sleeper, but for the past month or so this is every single night, and I’m losing so much sleep. I’m a teacher, and being woken for an hour or two every night is absolutely killing me. She has a bedtime routine which seems like it works well enough, but sleep has been her biggest issue throughout her life.Her bed is in our room (we don’t have another room for her to sleep in) and her toddler bed is shoved right up next to mine because her night waking was so bad I wanted her close to me so I wouldn’t have to get up as much. Even putting her in the bed with us doesn’t help. She just cried for another 30 minutes while laying in bed with us.She’s a perfectly happy and normal child during the day. You’d have no idea her sleeping is so bad. She dropped her daytime nap right before she turned 2, and sleeping during the day for her usually results in an extra challenging bedtime, so I’m not convinced she needs to take the nap back up.I’m at the point of demanding that my husband take her to the doctor and figure out something, anything we can do about this. Because I can’t take it. It’s driving me insane, and I’m CONSTANTLY tired and not getting enough sleep. And I lay out my sleep schedule and follow it fairly strictly because I desperately need my sleep.Has anyone else experienced anything like this?? Can you please help us?? We are desperate. I can’t keep living like this, but I have absolutely no idea what to do. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2ACkkRG

No comments:

Post a Comment