Tuesday 30 October 2018

I [22] am raising my sister [10]. Need advice.


Last winter my grandpa, who raised me and my sister, suffered from a stroke and was left paralyzed. I take care of him and I take care of my sister now.My sister has a lot of anger (understandably, her childhood has been very hard) and I am trying with everything in me to help her but I can’t get through to her half the time. An example of when it gets bad:She starts her social studies homework. It’s a giant newsletter that she is supposed to read and answer the questions on the back. There is a small crossword and a few short response. It normally take 10 minutes for her to read it and 10-15 to finish questions. The problem is, she doesn’t want to read it.“Homework is stupid. I know how to read I don’t need to read more. I don’t get it. This is stupid. I hate it.” Then she starts squirming on the floor and crying saying she doesn’t get it. These are not hard questions either, they are simple questions. Like “Where was pocahontas born” and it’s written in the paragraph labelled “Pocahontas”.Today she did this for an entire hour instead of just READING THE NEWSLETTER. A WHOLE. HOUR. Nothing has worked!!! We went to therapy together, I encourage her, I use positive and negative reinforcements and I have snapped before because of this homework!! Today I had to remove myself because she was laughing at me when I told her I was trying my hardest to help her!!I know she knows how to read!! She got amazing grades on her newest A.R. Test! She reads Harry Potter! But as soon as she has to do something she doesn’t want, it’s a war zone!!!I’m sorry for all of the exclamation marks. I’m just so overwhelmed. I’m trying my hardest to help her, and she just doesn’t want to do anything. Does anyone else have this issue? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2ERJJL7

No comments:

Post a Comment