Sunday 28 October 2018

Anxiety: My 6 year old saved me from myself yesterday


So, this may be a long story. I suffer from constant, extreme anxiety. I do take medication to help relieve some of the stress, but I still have panic attacks and am constantly anxious. Also, very few people know this. Well, knew this.My 6 year old daughter had been begging me to go to a Halloween party she’d gotten invited to by a classmate. This required I call to RSVP. If you do not have anxiety, you may not understand, but it took me 2 weeks just to call (the day of the party). My daughter was so excited. My step-son was going to come as well as my husband, so I got all dressed up in my mermaid costume. I’m talking huge green tail, blue scale makeup, the works. Before we left my husband and son decided not to go, which initially didn’t bother me at all. Until I got in the car.Looking at the invitation, which did not say to wear a costume, I jokingly said “I sure hope this is a costume party or we’re going home”. To which my 6 year old daughter said “oh, it isn’t”. Cue panic. I pull up a couple of houses down from the party to see if there are people wearing costumes. I see kids wearing costumes, and a lot of adults.. not in costume. Immediately my stomach sinks, I go back to being that little girl with social anxiety who couldn’t look at people, let alone speak to them. My daughter asked me what was wrong and I actually told her the truth in a way she could relate. I told her “Baby I’m nervous. What if the other grown ups make fun of me because I’m wearing a costume and they aren’t?”. I dont think I’ll ever forget what she told me. It’s exactly what I tell her.“Mommy, don’t worry if other people don’t like your costume. If you like it, that’s all that matters. Believe in yourself mommy, please. I’ll hold your hand”.My worries got pushed to the side, I took a deep breath, put the car in park, and thanked my daughter. We walked into that party completely full of parents and children I didn’t know. I introduced myself, talked a little, and ate all of the little Halloween treats. I was still anxious the entire time and had a panic attack after we got back home. But my daughter saved me from myself yesterday. And she didn’t have to miss out on a party. God knew what I needed when he gave me her. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2qgOsfg

No comments:

Post a Comment