Sunday 29 July 2018

When going out to a public place with your kids, always try to make note of what they’re wearing


Yesterday we took our kids to a “touch a truck” event. There were hundreds of children there. It was absolute madness. My four year old and two year old were in the stroller and wanted to go see a cool tractor trailer. We get up to the door of the truck and my husband turns to get the kids out of the stroller.....and my four year old is gone.We have know idea how or when he got out. He had been right there in the stroller in front of us. But somewhere in the 20ft between “Lets go see that truck” and getting to the truck, my son had climbed out without us noticing. Even scarier is that he has autism and is nonverbal. He wouldn’t have been able to respond if we called out his name.With all the kids there, there’s no way I would’ve been able to just spot his face. Fortunately amidst the panic, the voice in my head said “he’s wearing yellow.” Instead if searching for him specifically, I looked for yellow. Ended up spotting him at a booth a few yards away, playing with some toy trucks the company had on their display table to give out.It was a terrifying few moments, but it got me thinking. If we had actually needed to file a report with the police, would either of us have been able to describe his clothing? I know it seems obvious but sometimes in the hustle and bustle of getting ready for the day, a lot of times we end up on autopilot. Just grab a shirt and pants from their drawer and call it a day.That’s all. I just wanted to share a moment my husband and I have now learned from. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2veqWSq

No comments:

Post a Comment