Friday 27 July 2018

How do you respond to a rude weight-driven remark?


My children are all thin. They are all involved in sports or dance too, except the toddler. But he goes with us and swims and everything with us and is very active. I am very active. My husband was laid off a couple years ago and I went a year and a half without health insurance. I gained a bunch of weight during this time due to untreated Hashimotos and PCOS. Also, I have Asthma and was given medication for Hashimotos (that was not appropriate for Hashimotos) by the less expensive family doctor I went to that I ended up being allergic to so I also ended up on steroids. Prior to the loss of income, I would typically eat mostly organic foods and Greek yogurt and such. While our income was so low, I often did not make myself things, used cheaper cuts of meat when I did cook, did not use organic anything, etc. I ate the kids left overs instead of making myself anything. Prior to his lay off, we never ate things like hot dogs and I did not eat things like sandwiches or much for carbs. I never ate fried foods. Once laid off, I found a can of spaghettios was only $1 and hotdogs and buns were cheap too, so kids were allowed to eat that. Not like they ate it every day. They probably had it 10 times over the year and a half my husband was laid off.The point is, I gained weight during that time, from a mixture of the change of diet and the medication issues, like having to take steroids for the allergies and not having access to proper medical care for my Hashimotos or PCOS. Plus, since my husband was working on his job hunt 24-7, I could not even take an evening walk for exercise because I took care of the children 24-7. He did zero during that time so he could focus on job hunting. It took a great toll on me. (honestly, I do have some resentment over that because I have a hard time believing he was really job hunting to such an extreme amount of time that he did not have a spare minute to even change a diaper or read a book to a child, but that would be for a different post, just say I was 100% on my own, as much as a single parent, except I had to take care of a grown man too).I am visiting this friend. I have been back to the doctor, a new endocrinologist. I am very excited. I have had two visits and already have had all the blood work and then the follow up visit and started my new medication and am feeling great physically and have even lost ten pounds!!! Yay!! I am just thrilled. I cannot even explain how excited I am that things are looking up. So, I told her how excited I was and how the time he was unemployed had been hard (without going in to how little he did to help or such). AND, while I was standing there, she served her child fast food chicken strips with french fries, something my children have never had in their lives (until a few weeks ago when a relative died and we went to the funeral and another relative bought Happy Meals for all the children. My children had no idea what Happy Meals were). She had the nerve to cut me off and tell me how terrible it is that I feed the kids that stuff and how I am setting them up for a life time of trouble and struggle and I need to clean up my life and so on....ummm....her daughter is not even in a sport. She has one child, that is it. The only activity her child has is multiple bible studies a week and then art classes or some other thing she is trying at the time, but it has never been a physical activity. Her child is no skinnier than mine and mine are plenty thin. For example, my daughter is 45 inches tall and 39 pounds. That is my child who was measured more recently so I know hers.I just left feeling ...demoralized. I never should have shared my excitement and also...I guess this tells me what this woman really thinks of me. I THOUGHT she was a friend. Turns out, all she could see is the weight I have recently gained. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2AfGvyJ

No comments:

Post a Comment