Friday 27 July 2018

3 year old started repeating racial prejudiced remark after staying with grandma


All of a sudden out of nowhere when we were playing my 3 year old starts saying "black people not nice" repeatedly. He had no reason to say that (no bad experiences, we don't even refer to people as black and white) so I ask him "who taught you that?". Him: "Grandma told me that". Me: "why did she say that?". Him: "I not know". Me: "where were you?". Him: "we were just sitting eating and she told me that.". Me: "was she talking to Grandpa?". Him: "no just me".I'm a stay at home mom who's with him almost all the time so I'm 95 percent sure his story checks out. He didn't learn it when I was with him and she's the only one who takes him once in a great while.This is my MIL who started consuming Fox news 24/7 and became far right conservative starting about 15 years ago. So if i had to guess she was probably watching TV and gave my son her commentary on some riot or whatever they were broadcasting. They don't go out and do anything when he stays with her so it's not like a black person was mean to them. That's my guess anyways. Husband is going to call her tonight but I am super upset. I'm liberal and racially accepting of all people and would never ever ever want my kid to be THAT kid spewing that crap. I also don't want to be evil and keep him from Grandma but I totally will if I have to I just wish I knew what was best.... She'll either blow off our concerns and requests or respect them, I can't tell the future. But any tips on how to navigate the phone call or visits? What would you do? Am I overreacting? Is this just the price to pay for an occasional free grandparent babysitter? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2LVPmr1

No comments:

Post a Comment