Friday 27 July 2018

The tiny little things that carry on from one generation to the next...


Every family has their BIG traditions they work to maintain. But what about the small stuff, the habits or practices you don't even think about until you see your kid doing them and are reminded of your childhood?This one struck me today:My Mom is a lawyer, and when I was a kid in the 1980s there was always a box of scrap paper which was abandoned drafts of legal documents. So my childhood drawings were on the back of divorce decrees, etc. She'd bring home papers, we'd draw on them, we'd keep what we kept and destroy the rest. The art supplies were always out and available, and we had our own art desks.Now I am a lawyer, and I work from home. Almost every day my son comes home from school, grabs some paper from my scrap paper bin, and starts drawing on the back of my draft legal documents. He draws, keeps what he keeps, and the rest goes back into the box to shred. (Things with personal information like SSNs or other confidential information are carefully shredded outside of this ofc).Anyway, what things from your childhood have been accidentally replicated in your home? What makes you think, oh this is so just like how we did it when we were kids? So much is different in the world today, but what is just exactly the same for you? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2K2LbYv

No comments:

Post a Comment