Tuesday 31 July 2018

When do you let your child quit an activity?


My (33f) eight year old son has been taking drum lessons for about six months after asking for and getting a drum kit for Christmas. For the past month he keeps saying how he wants to quit. It’s usually right before lessons when he’s in the middle of something fun. I also get the feeling that it’s because he doesn’t like the daily chore of practicing. He’d just rather be playing video games or hanging out with friends. He doesn’t see it as something fun to do.And yet, during lessons he seems to really like it. And he LOVES performing. The music school does a big concert once a year where they divide the kids into bands and perform and he had an absolute blast.My husband feels like maybe we should just let him quit because he doesn’t like fighting him to go to his lessons or do his practicing at home. But I feel like most kids don’t get good at a sport or an instrument without a pretty big push. My parents allowed me to quit every time something got hard (soccer, piano, etc) and I wish they hadn’t. So I’m trying to decide if I’m being unreasonable and trying to redo my childhood through my own kids at their expense or if most parents are forcing their kids to continue with these sorts of extra curriculars even when their kid doesn’t want to. Any thoughts or experiences?TL:DR: eight year old wants to quit drum lessons after six months. How long do you make them keep practicing an instrument? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2LSAUmz

No comments:

Post a Comment