Tuesday 31 July 2018

The gun question. How do you ask and what do you ask?


I grew up in an area with high gun ownership. I moved for college and my oldest spent his first 5 years in an extremely liberal and progressive California city. We moved and my younger two kids were born here in Texas.I have struggled a lot with how to ask about guns. I am not a gun owner myself and am unsure how to ask about them without offending the other person. I feel like no matter what I say I end up putting my foot in my mouth. I feel like "Do you have guns?" can come across as judgemental and accusatory. My oldest is 11 now and has been given more freedom. Should I still be asking this question when he goes to a new persons house? My middle is 5 so playdates are starting to happen without me more and more. How can I be sure any guns in the home are safe and secure without offending the gun owner? Is asking to check crossing the line?I want to note that we have taught our kids gun safety. I still would rather they not need to use it and don't come across guns at friends houses. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2M2VxcJ

No comments:

Post a Comment