Monday 30 July 2018

Thanks to the parents who teach their kids to be well-mannered!


I have lived in China for the past 9 years. Both of my daughters (under 3) were born there. I take them out to play daily and I cant tell you how bratty, rude, and just plain mean the kids in my upscale Vanke (largest real estate company in China) community are. From constantly pointing and calling my kids "wei guo ren" (means foreigner, ironically they are Chinese as their mother is Chinese and they were born in f'in China), little boys constantly picking on, pestering, or even kicking my daughter, kids pissing and shitting on the public community playground area, a total inability to share anything even things that are public, to parents (actually usually grandparents as many parents are not even involved with rearing the kids) watching their little brats take things that aren't theirs and doing absolutely nothing to stop them. The behavior I see is sometimes so appalling that I just have to take my daughter elsewhere to play and have to very carefully guard who she can play with.Fast forward to today... I am back stateside for a visit. First time I have brought them to meet my family. My folks live in Jonesboro, AR and while I personally have never lived here, I am vaguely familiar with the area. I took my daughters to a local park to play. The kids there, coming from various ethic backgrounds, were all super sweet and kind to my daughters! From letting her join in on the see-saws, teaching her how to spin these little wheels on the jungle gym, holding her hand and taking her along as she tried to climb the equipment, to helping me locate her when she had run off out of site in the maze of equipment they have in the park.It was such a wonderful thing to see! I had to stop and complement some parents about how great I thought their kids were. Didn't matter what race they were or what race my kids are. They all played together like they had been friends for ages. One older boy even followed us out to my car to say goodbye to her and give her a hug. Big brothers/sisters constantly telling their younger siblings to be careful and gently with her as shes so young. My daughter is such an open spirit. There are no strangers to her. It was so sweet to see the kids here treating her so kindly, sharing with her, and helping her play along. One little girl bumped her and knocked her down but came over with her big sister to apologize to me for it. I was just so blown away by the good nature of these kids as compared to what I am used to seeing in the environment that my kids were born in, even though these kids almost certainly come from more disadvantaged homes than the families I live around.I dont know if it is just southern culture or American culture in general, but thanks to all the parents who take the time to teach their kids how to be good little humans in society! You made my day today!We are seriously debating staying in the US and just canceling our return flights. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2NS21Mc

No comments:

Post a Comment