Friday 27 July 2018

I don't truly love my 7 year old son


First off, this is always hard to talk about. I understand I'm putting it out into the world but I'd rather hear constructive criticism instead of mindless bashing commentsI really don't know how to properly explain my feelings, but I want to try. My son is 7 years old and generally well behaved, kind, silly and always laughing. But I just don't enjoy being around him, I don't think about him a lot, and I just generally don't know if I love him like I should.I'm a single mother with virtually zero support system and work full time. I'm 22 and live on my own. Yes, I had my son at a very early, I've heard it all. I barely make above minimum wage and my rent is more than half my income. I don't get any child support, welfare, food stamps, etc.I know it's a lot of stress on me, and I've tried therapy. But therapy doesn't fix a living situation. And not only that, but I feel like even if all these burdens wasn't on my shoulders, that I'd still not feel that connection with my son.I do spent more hours of the day away from my son than I do with him. Generally speaking, I spend maybe 5 hours with him a day. But even just that 5 hours, I dread every second of it. I'm miserable and grumpy and just want to be left alone. And he's so sweet, the only truly "annoying" thing he does is talk nonstop and always want my eyes on him 24/7. And I'm more than well aware he's not getting enough of my attention, and that's what he wants, but I just can't seem to enjoy my time with him.I know I need help, and he also maybe needs therapy before it gets worse, but I just don't know what to do. If I google how I feel, it generally brings up parents who have kids that do not behave. But my son does, he's wonderful.I'm just at a loss. I know there's a problem, but I don't know how to fix it or where to even start. I've tried antidepressants and therapy, maybe more is the answer? I don't know, but thank you for reading. Please, feel free to be honest but no mindless bashing. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2uX2Qft

No comments:

Post a Comment