Saturday 28 July 2018

The system is failing my 6yo son and I need advice


Two weeks ago, we were at a party and neighbor mom approaches my wife and I. She said that neighbor dad found my (6 years old) son’s face between (7 years old) neighbor son’s leg with his pants off. This was TWO FULL DAYS after the event. She went on to say that we needed to establish new boundaries. I went white, my memory blank for the next few hours.That evening we sat my son down to ask him about what happened and he shut down completely. I have never seen him do this, ever. He ran to the bedroom and hid under the covers. We ask him if he wanted to talk tonight or the next day. He said the next day. The next morning, we asked him about it again and we were able to ask him yeses and nos. We listed all of his friends, family members and parents of friends. He said he felt safe with everyone in his close circle except every family member living in the neighbor’s house. He concurred that neighbor son was naked and he was not and that something “uncomfortable” happened.The following day we were able to get him to speak more freely. He said that the neighbor son told him to do it and there was physical contact. He said the father told him not to tell his parents. With that we decided him to get him into counseling right away. After speaking with the counselor by phone and before he met with the counselor, she indicated that we needed to file a police report ASAP. We did that evening and my son was interviewed by child protective services the next morning. He recounted all of the above information within 10 minutes of talking with the CPS investigator.After one week after the initial report and two counseling sessions, my son’s story became:My son was watching TV with the younger neighbor’s brother in the living room. Neighbor mom was asleep on the couch.Neighbor dad came home.Neighbor dad asked my son to go into the neighbor son’s bedroom. Neighbor son was naked.Neighbor dad told my son to put his mouth on neighbor son’s penis and then to touch his penis.My son did not touch neighbor dad’s private parts.Neighbor dad told my son not to tell his parents or neighbor dad would kill my son.They went back to playing.So I call the CPS investigator and detective of the police department and tell them this new information. I requested a second interview with the CPS investigator. She refused. They said since his story has changed there is nothing they can really do about it.Ten days after the initial interview, the CPS investigator finally went to the neighbor’s house. They did answer. We know they were home because all the lights went out. Same thing happened the next day and two days after that. The last time the CPS investigator left a card. They agreed to meet her a few days later.She interviewed them and told me since the neighbor boy’s story and the father’s story was different than my son’s story. It was a case of he-said-he-said. And there isn’t anything she could do about it. She asked the child and the father about the threats and they denied that there were any threats. No shit, Sherlock.The next day we contacted the CPS investigator’s superior and unleashed, giving them details from my son’s counseling sessions and follow ups at home (abovementioned) and all the odd things about the dad:• Frequently wrestles for longs periods of times with boys• Offers to babysit the neighborhood boys• Sits at the kids table during dinner while all the other parents are at another table.• Let’s his son walk around the neighborhood in underwear daily• Let’s his son walk around the neighborhood in a negligée• After his son has hit my son in my presence, I’ve taken both to the dad and he doesn’t discipline his child but asks what my son did to provoke his son to hit mine. This has happened multiple times.• I could go on…After we unloaded on the DPS again, they set up a forensic interview. The forensic investigator wanted to talk to one of the parents first. My son did not want to be separated. Finally, we convinced him to go for a walk while mom talked to the forensic investigator. Then they asked my son to come back alone. We could not go with him. Finally we convinced him to do it and within 5 minutes, he was back in the lobby. He wouldn’t talk. She asked to see me. I went back and she basically said that he didn’t say anything. I explained that he has experienced a traumatic event and it is hard for a six year old to blurt out the details of such an event without warming up to him. She was straight up flippant with me. “I’ve been doing this for 25 years and I’ve never seen a kid run out of here and not tell their story.” I said, “Well, that should be a huge red flag to you that something is seriously bothering him and that we might need a bit of time to allow him to warm up to you.” Apparently, I questioned her authority and she said, “This interview is over.”They gave my 6 year five minutes in a small room with white walls and pushy, non-compassionate investigator to tell his story. When he wouldn’t, they basically said there is nothing they could do. They wouldn’t allow him to wait in the lobby and be comforted by his parents for 30 minutes to allow him to warm up and gain the courage to speak out for himself.I feel the system failed my son and I don’t know what to do. He will be fine. He’s in counseling. He’s got two parents that cherish him. But I truly worry for the neighbor son. In my heart of hearts, I believe my son. I know that the neighbor son has been sexually abused for quite some time by his father. I went to the police not to protect my son from this man (that’s my job), but to investigate this man as a potential pedophile. And the key witness is my little boy, who is too afraid to talk in a five minute interrogation.To make matters worse my son is best friends with the across the street neighbors. The patents were our good friends. They have refused to talk to us (but the other neighbors) because of how we are treating them. This breaks my heart the most. I can help my son. I can advocate for him. But to punish him my not allowing him to see his best friend (not involved in the incident) is the worst punishment imaginable for his little heart. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2AdjTiq

No comments:

Post a Comment