Saturday 28 July 2018

How can I better support my husband now that we’ve had a baby?


I’m asking on a throwaway account to ensure privacy.I never discuss relationship issues with anyone, so as I try and formulate this it may get wordy so TLDR - husband gets mad (storms off, yells at me, etc) when I ask him to help with our baby. What is he feeling to make him react like this, and how can I help him?My husband and I have a five month old, and I want to know how to help him feel better about spending time with her. I think I must have disrespected him without realizing it, and now if I ask him to help it is causing fights. It’s really hard for me to see it from his perspective- honestly to me it looks like he’s pitching a fit because he doesn’t want to help - but I know that their must be more to it that if I could just “walk in his shoes” would understand.He’s a great guy and works very hard. He’s in IT and can work from 7-7 if you include commute. I work part time from home. Because of this I do everything for the house and for the baby. In a typical week he may change one diaper. However, sometimes I do need help and even though I hate asking, I really have to. For example it’s 12 at night, I’m using breast pump before bed, and the baby wakes up. I asked if he would go soothe her a little. Pick her up, pacifier, etc. He got mad because I forgot to restock diapers in the nursery (tonight is her first night in the crib and I rarely change her in their). I came up to bring supplies then went back downstairs to put the milk in the fridge. He came storming down, refused to talk, and told me to handle her. Things like this happen often when I either ask for help or voice that I’m tired or having a hard time. Have I just done too much, and not adequately prepared him for how to care for the baby and now it’s overwhelming for him? He doesn’t like me to instruct him on how to care for her, which I completely understand, but he also doesn’t like to figure it out for himself. What is the inbetween? Thanks for taking the time to read through all this. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2LKuKoA

No comments:

Post a Comment