Monday 30 July 2018

How can you be sure you have a good father as a husband???


Hello all,I am really confused as to whether I am being blinded by the fact that I would like things to work out between is as a family or if I need to look at our relationship more seriously.Some background....We are both in our mid/late 30's and we have a 7mth old child. Neither of us had much experience with children and now I obviously have significantly more as I am the SAHM. (I have just started to look for online work but had to leave my job as SO got relocated)I feel like my SO does not really want to be that involved in our child's upbringing. He does work long hours (including shift work so regularly has nights and 12HR shifts) but my concern is less about the amount of time spent with our child bit more that I feel like he should have more interest.He has only taken her on her own and out of the house twice (maybe a third time that I can't remember) and each time he had to be asked (with advanced notice and a lot of asking) This included a month where we were on holidays together visiting our families during which time he regularly got to stay up late with friends/family and I got to get up early with her.(Please note that I ADORE my child and don't actually particularly mind his lack of involvement as I enjoy my time with her so much but we are in the midst of couples counselling and I want to be clear on my own feelings of what I am looking for in a husband/father)He does look after her around the house when I am cooking dinner/doing chores/looking for work but there always seems to have to be a trade off. He will also look after her briefly while I have a shower but gets irritated by having to do it for this reason.He says all the right things 'I want to be a great father' etc.. and makes suggestions of things to do with her but nothing ever really eventuates.I have no doubt at all that he loves her and wants to provide for her and that he is a good person but am I asking too much that his eyes should light up when he sees her (there are times where he doesn't even acknowledge her when he gets home because he forgets)He also never texts and asks how she is when he's on long shifts which a lot of other fathers I know do or doesn't get very excited when she does anything new developmentally.When he is with her he can be engaging, fun and loving so in theory he is capable. On the other hand he often spends way too much time on his mobile rather than engaging her which always saddens me considering how little time he gets with her.I would love some of your insight to help me please.Thank you :-) via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2M0pXfv

No comments:

Post a Comment