Tuesday 31 July 2018

Son starting first year of school soon, any experience with "brain break" vs recess?


We're gearing up for our first year of school. My parents asked me about recess and I thought, why wouldn't they have recess? Well a quick search shows our area has "brain breaks" at the discretion of the teachers, despite state law saying all students k-8 have to have 30 mins of physical activity a day.Now maybe this is fine, I plan to ask the teacher when we get to meet them. But a quick search showed locals last year who set up a petition and claimed their kindergartners we're coming home complaining about being in class all day. These parents claimed the kids got 30 mins physical activity 2 times a week, and if they were lucky they would get a 15 min "brain break". They also said multiple teachers were taking away brain breaks for the entire class as a punishment.My son is insanely active. I know a lot of parents say that, but other kids his age comment on how active and hyper he is and we get comments from strangers and sports coaches just about everybody. I make sure he has plenty of time outside and he still tends to drive me nuts with his activity inside. I'm very concerned how being in school for 7 hours with little or no breaks will affect him. I know it would cause him to act out, which I'm worried would cause the teacher to take away his break, which would cause him to act out more...Any of y'all have experience with this method? Any of you have kids with no recess? How do they handle it? How can I handle it if this becomes a problem?Thanks via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2OAr6fM

No comments:

Post a Comment