Monday 30 July 2018

3 year old holds her pee while potty training


We've been trying to potty train our 3 year old (she turned 3 last month) for maybe 6 months now. We got her used to the idea at around 2.5, and she actually peed and pooped on both the floor potty and the regular toilet. We let her pick out her own underwear and she was excited, and she's actually very much into potty books and, admittedly, watching me use the bathroom (mom).My husband and I both work M-F 9-5, so we really only have nights and weekends to work on this. School will ask if the kids need to go, but they don't actually train.Anyway, 2 weeks ago we tried a no diaper weekend. Either underwear or nothing. Filled her to the brim with fluids, hoping she'd either notice she has to pee or have an accident. As the day went on, she drank more and more but...nothing. I reminded her every 30 minutes or so and had her sit on the toilet pretty routinely every hour. I was starting to just really hope an accident would happen. Put her down for her nap; nothing. We make it to bed time with no pee, and against my better judgement (I suffer from UTIs and if I put my baby through that I would absolutely hate myself) I put her to bed with no diaper, figuring she'd have an accident and I could use it as a learning opportunity. Nope. She woke up at 4am and wanted to change pajamas. She said she was in pain and pointed to her bladder. She fought the potty. At this point I absolutely had to give her a diaper, which she used.I decided to back off on the potty training after this. She is obviously not quite ready yet. However, yesterday she wanted to wear underwear to the zoo. Very exciting! She refused to pee on the toilet the entire day.She's either afraid of change, afraid of the potty, or I'm really not sure. She's indicated fear but doesn't get into what she's afraid of.Has anyone been through this? Is there a way I can ease her into not being afraid and to stop holding it? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2AryUgQ

No comments:

Post a Comment