Tuesday 26 September 2017

Wife and I differ on this parenting style. and it's frustrating.


She has a lot of issues with our 3yr old getting frustrated and getting upset. I don't. And the reason is that when I spend time with our child, I present him with stuff that he just takes in - here's this activity. Here's this snack. There's this thing to do.She stops and asks him to choose between A and B at every opportunity. Do you want cheddar cheese or string cheese? Do you want juice or milk? do you want legos or action figures? Do you want this or that?And frankly, this leads to our 3yr old getting really frustrated and mad.With me, you don't get a choice. Here, we're going to the park. (there's no "do you want to go to the park?" question. We're just doing it. Let's go.)Another problem is that she asks our child "Do you want to go to the park?" and if he answers "NO", then she makes him go anyway. So to me - that's a false choice and an opportunity to frustrate the child. It's a totally pointless question. If I want to take him to the store, I don't ask him - I just announce it as a point of fact. It makes it so much easier.Here, have a plate with crackers, cheese, and apple.No choosing. Here's a glass of milk.I just feel it's easier. The kid just goes along with it. If he doesn't want crackers, he doesn't have to eat them.Jesus. He's always melting down and throwing tantrums w/ her. It's usually pretty easy going with me.I don't believe confront a child to make a decision every 5 seconds is that great. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2xuX7jH

No comments:

Post a Comment