Monday 25 September 2017

18 years ago, my son poured a slushy over his head while standing in line at Disney world. What goes around comes around.


We were standing in line; for what, I do not remember. I do, however, recall that we had been standing in that line for ~1.5 hours and we're just about half way through it.I was a single mom and I scraped together enough money for the trip. It was a gift for my son's seventh birthday.I warn any single parent of an only child against a trip like this for the simple reason that entertaining a seven year old is exhausting. I truly believe the trio would have been easier if I had two boys around the same age because they would have kept each other busy.My son, alone and bored with me, was focused on the humid Florida heat, which I admit was even terrible to us, and we live on the Mississippi River.I kept telling him just to be patient and drink the slushy I'd bought (important to note we were usually a water/milk only family, so the slushy was a big deal for him).But why, oh why, did I mention that slushy? I turn my back to continue talking with the other parents in line when the mother I was speaking to stops mid sentence and says, "Oh my God, honey, noooo."I turn around to see my son pouring the last bit of red slushy over the top of his head. He was wearing a shit t shirt.After the initial shock, I figured he'd be fine. We'd just continue to wait in line. He cooled off a bit and everyone around us got a good laugh out of it.But then he got sticky. And then the flies came. An entire day was wasted because of the long trip out of the park and back to the hotel.Fast forward 18 years and my son has grown a lot. I'm very proud that he became a pilot in the airforce and that he has his own family, now. His fiancée is a bit older and has 2 children from a previous relationship.Without going into all the details, my son now has his own 7 year old boy and 5 year old boy.And while they didn't go to Disney, they did go to Six Flags.And while standing in a long, hot line, their seven year old poured ice cream over his and his little brother's heads.The only thing that would have made this more enjoyable for me is if I'd been there to see it in person lol. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2yChJUT

No comments:

Post a Comment