Tuesday 26 September 2017

7 year old hanging out with bad influence that lives close by, what would you do?


We moved a couple years ago to a nicer neighborhood with a lot of young families. Well we didn't know anyone yet but got introduced to a boy my sons age who lives about ten houses down. They became good buddies, but soon after we found out the boy is often getting into trouble. Now in the same school the boy is getting into trouble, and has a teacher's aid with him all the time. Found out last year in grade one he didn't even get to go out for recess because of all the issues with him.We he is here they play well and listens to us. Once in a while they will get a bit out of line, nothing serious but will listen if one of us tells him/them to stop. I've seen numerous times where he's showed real care for my son, so I know he has a good heart. But I think there are possible mental or behavioral issues that go beyond just simply acting up.The teacher told me today that the other boy tried to pull a girl off the play structure. My son was there, wasn't involved but of course guilty by association. I've told my son numerous times he has to make better decisions, that there are going to be times when your friends are doing things you know are wrong, and you have to walk away. Of course that's easier said than done.This boy has turned into his best friend over the past two year. Not what I wanted, but they live close so it was hard to avoid. I told him he won't be playing here for the rest of the week and if something like this happens again it will be longer. Should I be doing more? Should I be getting to the point where I said he can't come here anymore, ever? Of course at school recess and lunch they'll probably still play together and if it continues when older they'll probably go out together. Trying to stop them from hanging out could just make things worse. My son is really kind and gentle but gets caught up in these situations. He knows they are wrong but doesn't seem to leave them. So I can't put all the blame on other kids, he eventually will have to make the decision and walk away. There aren't any other kids this close that they can get together and play with this easily, so it's a convenient friend to have.We aren't friends with his parents but we stay in touch and get a long. They live pretty close so if we get to the point where we don't let them hang out, it will be a bit awkward for a long time. They don't seem to discipline very much, and already have issues with their older son.My son is smart for his age, and I obviously want him to have a successful life. You hear about your son involved in things like this and it's quite disappointing, but looking back when I was a kid I was a little shit and involved in stupid little things like this as well. I'm just worried about this boy or even others bringing him down from what he can really be. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2xv7e7R

No comments:

Post a Comment