Saturday 30 September 2017

How do you teach your two-year-old how to put himself to sleep?


We coslept for a long time, and now our 23-month-old is sleeping most of the night in his room. I finally stopped nursing him to sleep, but now one of us has to lie in his bed with him until he falls asleep. It actually works better when my husband does it, because our son still begs to nurse when I am in there. And usually cries. Sometimes it takes an hour or more for him to fall asleep. I'm not even sure if it's helpful that we are there, but I do know that his screams are much more shrill if we leave him in his room by himself. we now have a routine where he made a bedtime story and we Takin his stuffed animals and tell them night night. But putting him to sleep remains a pretty painful ordeal. The other way that I get him to go to sleep, usually at night, is to take him on a long walk. I like to go on a walk because it forces me to get some exercise, and I walk briskly, he falls asleep, I transfer him, and I sleep better to having done a brisk walk for an hour and a half. But it doesn't change the fact that my son doesn't know how to put himself to sleep.Yesterday a playmate came over, and he is perhaps five months older, but I was struck by how he lay still to fall asleep. I know that his parents did cry it out when that child was about six months old, and I know that he must stay in his room for the full nap time even if he doesn't sleep. I also know that my child goes to sleep at his daycare, so I think some of it is a situation that we created ourselves. I should also mention that we have a roommate who's room is next-door, so I don't know if we could do a full cry it out, even though I'm pretty sure our roommate would support us. I'm also not sure that we can do cry it out at this point because it's pretty late. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2xOlk3J

No comments:

Post a Comment