Tuesday 26 September 2017

My 1st grader was "beat up" today by a classmate at school.


I guess I just need an outlet at the moment....Today, as I was driving my daughter home from school, I was asking her the 20 questions about her day.She's just entered first grade so answers are usually quite blunt. And after a few mundane answers she says, "I got slapped pretty hard today at recess."Well, I know my kid can get dramatic, and I know that little ones exaggerate a lot, so, I figure I would ask a few more questions casually to get the answer of what happened. After all, she seemed okay when I picked her up, no tears, no frown, no one said anything to me (which they usually do if there is an "incident.") I was taken aback when she said it, so without trying to make a huge deal about it (for reasons I explained), I asked:Me: Was it an accident?D: No. It was really hard.Me: Who was it?D: (Classmate in her grade)Me: Was it on purpose?D: I think so.Me: Where did she hit you?D: Both sides of my face. As hard as she could. She puts both palms to both cheeks. I was the worst pain I ever felt.Me: Does anyone know about it?D: Yes. [She] had to go to "time out classroom".Me: How did the teacher find out?D: [Classmates brother who was there] ran and told because I couldn't tell anyone. I was crying so much.At this point, I'm bothered by what she's said, but keeping my calm, thinking still, maybe I'm misunderstanding. Obviously something happened at school today (I was going to call to find out; either way, I'm thinking it was probably handled.) But, before we even got home my daughter says, "And she grabbed my boobie. And pulled."Now, I'm thinking, *"What?!"I ask first if it was an accident; did she just bump her. She says, "No, underneath my shirt."Then she tells me that [her classmate] had her little brother (from the same household but younger) "hold her down so [classmate] could grab her." This happened directly before she got slapped.We arrive home. I get my daughter set up inside and go make the phone call to the school to find out what is going on and let the principal know everything my child has just told me. She seems mildly concerned about the slapping (I think she already knew) but was speechless when I told her about the the breast grabbing part.I get off the phone to then go help my daughter change into her leotard (her first time in dance so I was showing her how to do the tights) and discovered BRIGHT RED WELTS in the shape of fingers across her chest on both sides. I asked her about the marks and she tells me that is where she was grabbed.I called the school principal back immediately to let her know that there were marks. She's going to call me back tomorrow.And that's where I'm at.I'm probably making a big deal about this but it just feels really bad.I DID tell my daughter that I was sorry that it happened to her and that I was proud of her for telling me. She is doing pretty good except for a few brief moments of tears about how " her friend hurt her today."Thanks for listening and any advice. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2hxIlhY

No comments:

Post a Comment