Friday 29 September 2017

Seeking advice: daughter doesn't want dad


To start off I know it's normal for children to prefer one parent over the other, but I would like feedback on if this is something we should address or let it go.Our daughter is 2.5 yo and has always preferred me, her mom. Husband is hardly around because he works way too much. And I'm 100% sure that factors into her preferring me and what is going on. Onto the issue.When our daughter is upset she will reject dad. For example, this morning I was sitting on the couch with her telling her she needed to put her shirt on (we were getting ready for daycare). She responded with "no, I don't want to go to school" and kicked me. I told her "no, we don't kick people" and dad chimed in "listen to your mom, we don't kick people". She then said "no, dad. I don't want you" all frustrated and grumpy.To me, this sounds rude. It also hurts dad's feelings and sometimes he sulks away, but for the most part we understand she's young and part of this is normal development learning boundaries and what not. But it sounds rude because she's talking back to dad when he steps in to correct her behavior or reinforce what I'm doing.On one hand it's great she is asserting herself and I don't want to teach her not to speak up for herself. I'm just not sure if this is something we continue to allow her to do/say and it'll work itself out or if we correct her not to back talk and reject dad. And if we do correct her, how should it be worded so she knows it's okay to assert self, but sometimes it's not appropriate. Am I making sense? Or should we let it go? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2fXlLQ2

No comments:

Post a Comment