Tuesday 26 September 2017

Little boys and penis touching


I have a three-year-old daughter and I'm pregnant with my second child. Lately I've been thinking a lot about what if the new baby is a boy, because I don't have a lot of experience with little boys and that would be unfamiliar territory for me. I've noticed that lots of online lists about "things to know about baby boys" refer to little boys touching their penises a lot, and the attitude these articles have towards it kind of bothers me.While I understand why little boys would want to touch their penises - it's right there, and it feels good - I think it's a behavior that should be discouraged in public ("public" meaning around other people, family members included). I think a big part of parenting is teaching your child what acceptable behaviors are, and it is not going to serve a little boy well in the long run if he thinks it's okay to touch his penis around other people whenever he feels like it. A lot of the articles I've found seem to take the attitude that this is a cute-little-rascal, boys-will-be-boys thing that you'll never be able to stop little boys from doing, so don't bother to try - just laugh it off and make up cutesey nicknames for your son's penis. This is a totally counter-intuitive approach for me. My daughter is learning about private parts being private and I'm not about to decide that a possible son is exempt from learning the same thing just because he has more readily accessible genitals to touch.I wouldn't ever try to punish a kid for touching their genitals around other people, but it does not seem unrealistic to me to expect them to stop doing it when asked once they're old enough to understand rules. I also don't want my daughter thinking it's okay for little boys to go around touching themselves in front of her and she should just accept that no matter how she feels about it because "that's just how boys are". (I wouldn't ever frame the situation as "your little brother keeps touching his penis and that makes him a budding sex offender," but "your little brother keeps touching his penis because he hasn't learned about private parts being private" seems like a reasonable approach to me.)Do little boys really spend THAT much time touching their penises? If I believe that this should be limited to a private behavior, am I going to be alone among parents? (Watch, after all this thinking it'll turn out this baby is a girl anyway...) via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2yreteb

No comments:

Post a Comment