Thursday 28 September 2017

My 4 year old is scared of the Black teacher


Gosh, this is so embarrassing to type out. My 4 year daughter is talking a pre-ballet class and loves it. Twice now the teacher has been a sub, and he is a young black man. When then teacher is there she is beside herself and refuses to attend class.Some back story, Lily has always been a high needs child. Even as a small child she was terrified people outside of her family, and it takes her forever to warm up to new people. We haven't stressed about it too much, because we recognize that it is just her personality, and by slowly exposing her to more environments we hope she can built the confidence to enjoy new experiences and people.As for the reason she is scared of this teacher, when she was about a year old, my husband and I volunteered as youth leaders at a church. There is a group of young African Refugees who are very much teenage boys, and would try to get Lily's attention. The attention getting would eventually turn in light teasing, (and when I say light, I mean super light, saying "Hi" to Lily, and making eye contact would have her in dive her face into our shoulder.) So, I think she is building off these experiences. The Young man who is her teacher looks a lot like the Young Men from church.Here's what we have done so far, when she has these fits we calmly talk about her feelings. I ask her questions about why she is scared and what bad things she think is going to happen. I validate the feelings she is feeling, but I ask her if the teacher was mean, or yelled at her. I remind her that skin color does not make someone scary. It's a moderately effective conversion, but she has worked herself too far into a tizzy at that point to be calm enough to go back to class. My husband that sat with her and had her watch the rest of the class, then give the teacher a high five when class ended.We went to the library and checked out books about different skin colors, and some books that portrayed different races as happy family's. We've talked on and off all week how there is no reason to be scared. But you can tell there is still some hesitation in her eyes. I think this is just straight up irrational anxiety at this point(Which would not be surprising, as I have some social anxiety myself, mostly managed through CBT.), with a hint of unmanaged expectations (She is expecting a female teacher and has very little time to process the change.)Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions? Books or television shows? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2yb6SUT

No comments:

Post a Comment