Monday 25 September 2017

My 10 year old wants to change schools (again) and is depressed. Not sure what to do.


My son had been going to the same school for 2 years and this was his 3rd. He had ADHD but it's very mild and well managed without meds-or so we thought.His fidgeting was unacceptable to his 5th grade teacher and he went from straight As to Ds and Fs. We had an SST meeting and a 504 plan but his teacher had standards that were unrealistic for him and would take points off from his GRADE for not pushing his chair in or twitching his fingers under his desk. He had a meltdown and refused to go to school one day and I just about had it. Everything was a battle and the principle was clear that every class was at max and he had nowhere to move him.I decided to move districts and he now goes to a new school. He loves his teachers and the classwork is easier to understand, but he went from a school in a very upscale neighborhood (transfer) to the school he is zoned for which is rougher around the edges then I thought.He confessed to me that he has made zero friends, most kids think he's "weird" and that he hides in the restroom from bullies. He's confronted them and told his teachers. All that happened was they got sneakier.Things did calm down after and his teacher is working with us, but my son has been ostracized socially and has no connection with anyone. He's turned into a shell.It's been a month and he wants to go to a online charter school hybrid he saw an ad for. It has a STEM program that teaches CAD & 3D printing 3 days a week. He's certain he's never going to have friends again but it "beats hiding in the bathroom"I don't know what the best idea is. My gut reaction is to pull him out ASAP and don't look back, but this will be the 2nd time this year. The 1st time I felt we had no option, but this time I don't know. I hate seeing him suffer, but my ex husband and his family want him to just "tough it out"What do I do? I miss my happy-go-lucky boy via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2wTt3tC

No comments:

Post a Comment