Wednesday 27 September 2017

Need some advice on swim lessons and nervous kid.


I took my daughter to the Y for swim lessons this year for the first time. She was five years old at that point. Let's not go into why I didn't take her sooner and what not. I wish I had been able to, but I wasn't.They have a big shallow area where they did this first set of classes where she could touch the bottom and the first lesson she initially was scared, but quickly got over that and enjoyed the rest of the lessons. She was a bit uncomfortable going over to the deeper area where she could not touch the ground for some parts of the lessons, but she got through them.She did that first set of lessons and by the time they had the next set a couple of months later she needed to move into a different class as she had turned six.With this new set of lessons she has a different instructor, but they also work in the deeper area where she was uncomfortable and she has just been miserable doing the classes. Lots of crying prior and during the classes and anxiety over going to them in general. She gets that anxiety from me mostly and some from her mother. She is an overly cautious child who I never worry about getting into trouble as she approaches everything unfamiliar with a lot of trepidation.I generally don't push her to do stuff when she is having this sort of issue as most of the time if I wait she comes around on these things, but at the same time I paid for the lessons and it's hard to find time to get her there for the scheduled lessons much less the make up lessons. At the same time I feel like it's not that productive if she is going to be miserable, even if she is doing the work. The thing is, she enjoys playing in the pool. The big shallow area they have she wanders around in there into water up to her shoulders and when we have practiced the various skills necessary for swimming she can do all of them! It's just that she gets so worked up about doing it in the class lessons.I would teach her myself, but I really am not a hardcore Dad type and when it comes to instructing her on things she gets super stubborn with me when she doesn't want to do something, but she will do the same things for a teacher without making a big deal out of it. When I ask her why she did it for the teacher, but wouldn't do it for me the answer is, "Because I have to because they are my teacher!" This particular logic does not seem to extend to me the parent.At this point I'm not sure if I should push her to finish these lessons or not. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2fQYPl5

No comments:

Post a Comment