Thursday 28 September 2017

Funeral and a kid with death anxiety


Hi everyone.My godmother (who was 100 years old, go her!) just passed away. The funeral is next week.My six-year-old has...I wouldn't say "severe" but maybe "persistent"...death anxiety. A month ago he would randomly ask us at least once a day if he "would have a long life." A month or so prior to that he was convinced that any sniffle or cough was his throat closing up and he was dying.He hasn't asked anything like that in a few weeks, maybe a month. He's come to terms with it, at least temporarily.He loved my godmother (and was fascinated with her longevity; her 100th birthday was a major occasion for him, in part because he is very concerned about his lifespan).I'm not going to make him go to the funeral if he doesn't want to, and I'm happy to take him out of the situation if he gets uncomfortable while he's there, but I'm debating even asking him if he wants to go. There's part of me that doesn't even want to tell him that she's gone.(She lives quite far away, so we only see her a few times a year.)So, I suppose I'm asking for advice here. Should I tell him she died? Should I ask him if he wants to go to the funeral? One concern is that he held her up as an example of "people can live a long time" and I think he used that as a comfort mechanism for his death anxiety, so I'm hesitant to burst that bubble.Thanks. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2xFqFZm

No comments:

Post a Comment