Tuesday 27 June 2017

Was this situation between step-father and daughter wrong?


Hello all...I am posting here today because of a comment my grandmother made and it spiraled me into overthinking. Unfortunately I live with my grandmother still, though I'm trying my best to move out and be on my own. It's very hard when you're a single parent to do so. I am 110% appreciative and thankful of my grandmother. She took me in when my own living situation with a step-parent got out of hand. Still... my grandmother drives me insane. It's like she purposely does certain things just to bicker with me, and she is constantly contradicting herself. Having a child (3 year old) has only made it worse because she feels the need to tell me how to parent, then if I do it "wrong" in her eyes I get yelled at. She's honestly made me feel really inadequate as a mother and I get scared just trying to correct my daughter out of fear I will get screamed at and put down. Oftentimes I will tell my daughter "no" or to wait for something and my grandmother will go against my wishes. This has turned my daughter into quite the spoiled little brat... honestly...Anyway, the other night I went to go take a bath and my bf was over. 90% of the time my boyfriend of two years will come in the bathroom with me and we will just talk while I'm relaxing in the tub. This time my daughter wanted to join me, so I let her. I closed the bathtub curtains and even told her "we have to close them so -name- doesn't see you, boys aren't allowed to look at girls!", removed her clothes, and we played and relaxed in the tub together. My boyfriend could not see her. Even if the curtains would've remained opened, he was glued to his phone screen the whole time playing a game. Later on, I noticed my grandmother glaring at me and she said "Does -boyfriend- have to be in there when you and -daughter- take a bath? I don't think it was appropriate." I told her the curtains were closed and she just looked away. And oh my god, I fully believe if it would've been the opposite, as if I told my daughter "no, go play in your room for a bit" she would've yelled at me and asked why I didn't let my daughter come in with us. These are the types of things she does...Is she wrong or right? I did not think of the situation in that way at all. My daughter is a toddler, not a grown woman. I feel like she only said this to of course bicker with me because she was actually encouraging my boyfriend at one point to watch my daughter for me while I work, even knowing he would have to change her diapers (she still wears them), which I shut down. I'm just so frustrated with her that I don't know. What sort of things are wrong/right for a stepfather to do? I'm a first time parent and between my grandmother telling me what to do (then completely contradicting herself later on) and my daughter's stubbornness and whining, I'm just perpetually confused on how to be a good parent. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2uelCMB

No comments:

Post a Comment