Monday 26 June 2017

Daycare is making my kid overweight. Suggestions?


I have twin 7 year old boys and since the school year ended and they've been in daycare all day, one of them has gained probably 8-10lbs which is a huge amount when you weighed around 55-58 at the end of the school year (weighed 66lbs tonight with clothes). His clothes are getting tight and I'm sure it's from sitting around eating junk all day.I live in a small town and I'm limited on options, there are a few licensed in home daycares which is what they attend. During the school year, I made them go early to school and eat breakfast in the cafeteria each day after they told me daycare gave them pizza rolls for breakfast. I told them pizza rolls are junk food and not a healthy breakfast, and of course they are kids so they told the daycare provider what I said and she told me by state standards she's allowed to serve them BECAUSE IT'S A GRAIN. Maybe somewhere really far down the line it was a grain but seriously. Some of the meals have improved, but they are still consuming a lot of junk. When I asked them to try choosing healthy snacks, they asked if they could still have things from the snack basket. I asked what was in this basket and they said it's pop tarts, honeybuns, and those packs of crackers with fake cheese filling. Ugh.Before anybody starts in on the body positivity stuff, I have been fat since I was a kid, and after sprinkling in depression and various medications, along with quitting smoking a few years back, I continue to be a fat adult. I wouldn't wish growing up overweight on my worst enemy. I'm doing my best to get down to a healthy body weight and I'm down about 63lbs but I still have work to do. I signed the boys up for karate and I work out in the gym for an hour while they have class 2-3 days a week. I don't call my kids fat or anything like that. I don't talk down about myself in front of them and I try to teach them that staying active and eating healthy foods to fuel their bodies will make them feel their best.So basically I need some suggestions on how to deal with this now, before it gets worse. I'm a single parent and I work full time and it's disheartening that I'm paying $900/mo for my kids to mostly sit on their butts, play electronics, and eat junk. They don't get to take their tablets everyday and when they do, I've told the daycare provider they can play morning or afternoon but not both.If I had another feasible daycare option I'd probably switch. But this one is right across from their elementary school and if I pick a place out of town I have no transportation to get them to and from school because I leave for work at 645am and don't get home until almost 5pm. They used to go to another licensed in home daycare in our town and they ate junk there too. I also felt they were rude to the kids and they kept calling one of my kids a girl and a wussy because he liked to wear necklaces and his favorite colors are purple, rainbow, and glitter. He's a kid, I let him be himself.If any of you have suggestions on how to approach this with the daycare provider, that would be great. She is also pretty significantly overweight and I know she recently started Weight Watchers but I still don't think she's got a good grasp of nutrition which is sad because I'm sure she was required to take a course for her license and she gets state funding for the daycare food program but probably just buys whatever is cheap and easy.How should I talk to the daycare about this without sounding like a jerk? Should I pack them a bag of healthy snacks for the week and tell her to make them pick from those while the other kids eat sugary crap? I'd also welcome suggestions on what to pack! Sorry this is a ramble, I'm just annoyed and I need help! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2tggVFF

No comments:

Post a Comment