Thursday 29 June 2017

Tips for introducing your child to someone with Alzheimer's


Hi all,I have a great-grandmother who is 103 years old. While she is still physically in good health, she's had Alzheimers for more than ten years, unable to remember anything or anyone beyond her own childhood.We live about four hours away, so I only see my great-grandmother at the occasional family get-together at Thanksgiving or Christmas.I also have a four-year-old daughter, who is actually named after my great-grandmother.She has met my great-grandmother before, but she was so young that she doesn't remember. And of course due to her condition, my great-grandmother doesn't remember either.We're heading out of town this weekend, and our path is going to take us close to where my great-grandmother lives, so I want to stop in and say hi to her. Even though she doesn't remember who anybody is, she's always happy to have the company.My daughter is both smart and compassionate...for a four-year-old, anyway. She is aware of death and very sweetly took the hand of my wife's blind grandmother the first time they met. But of course she has no concept of Alzheimer's or other issues related to mental health, nor has she seen someone who is 103 years old before.I plan to show some recent photos of my great grandmother to my daughter today to prepare her for the physical condition of someone who is 103 years old -- but I'm not sure how to prepare her for the mental condition.I've tried google, but that's all about "How to help your child when someone they love begins developing Alzheimer's" which isn't the scenario here -- great-grandma has had Alzheimer's since before my daughter was born.Any advice on how to prepare a 4-year-old to meet someone with Alzheimer's? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2sl8okJ

No comments:

Post a Comment