Friday 30 June 2017

One week of Potty Training using the "Oh Crap" book. Some observations and thoughts


Potty training a 25 month old, very strong willed boy.Day one was rough. Pee EVERYWHERE. Poop next to the kitchen table. Gross.Day two we got a few pees in the potty but overall very exhausting. Got him to come to the bathroom with us. He pooped next to his little potty.Day three I was able to better read my son's queues. Only one pee on the floor, observed him trying to push one out - Got him to poop right on his potty. HUGE celebrations all around. Put him in pants, commando, in the afternoon. No more running around naked.Day four had most pees and one poop in his pottyDay five I went back to work (Tuesday the 27th) and that was a dark day for the wife. MAJOR struggles, son not listening, hitting, general misbehavior. (I posted a thread about it - she's better now)Day six and seven were a lot better. My MIL came over to help the wife during the dayOn to today - Wife texted me with excitement - She got him to poop and pee in his little potty this AM. She's very proud of herself and in a much more positive mood.The things that helped us this week was to stop reacting to his bad behavior - Get up, dismiss the bad behavior, and remove ourselves from the situation. I am seriously shocked how well this is working. To those of you in the other thread that offered this technique, I cannot thank you enough.Second, the wife and I were not on the same page to start, in that, I mean that she was WAYYYY too emotionally invested into potty training and her perfectionist and controlling nature culminated in frustration and feelings of hopelessness. Whereas I am far more lax and casual about it. Lots of talking things through after our son went to bed for the night, and wine got us synched up.My main take away from this past week is this: Kids are capable of learning anything, but you yourself need to be ready for the challenge. Potty training is teaching your kid a social skill - Everyone poops, here we are teaching them where to poop.As a side note to my fellow dads - When trying to lighten the mood during your wife's mini-mental breakdown, don't suggest having another kid. I swear that she was about to toss a bottle of wine at my head. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2tt1j1r

No comments:

Post a Comment