Monday 26 June 2017

Spelling words out to go over your kid's head


I often find myself doing this - when getting ice cream so my 3 yo doesn't freak out and refuse all other food, or when discussing going to the park, you get the idea.This weekend I had a pretty funny moment at the zoo. A family with a ton of kids was nearby. (I think it was 3 adults and around 8 kids, not sure who belonged to who.) We were in a petting area, inside a barn, and there were stairs going upstairs. They weren't marked as off limits, but there wasn't a label as to where they went either. One of the dads assumed it was an off limits area and told the kids to stop trying to go upstairs, which they desperately wanted to explore. I figured he didn't know that those stairs led to a slide inside the barn silo, so I told him there was a S - L - I - D - E upstairs. I figured if they did know about the slide and were trying to keep the kids away from it, then the kids still didn't know, but if they just didn't know then now they did and could choose to let the kids go up. The poor guy was so confused. I repeated it, and a woman started laughing "I can tell you're a dad, spelling things out!"Obviously some people do this, but maybe it's not as common as I thought since I completely threw this guy for a loop? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2td17Tz

No comments:

Post a Comment