Friday 30 June 2017

Visit gone wrong; am I at fault?


My parents were emotionally abusive and controlling when I was growing up, but after I married, they seemed to see me as an adult and turn over a new leaf. They recently bought a new house in a new state, and since their visit to us last year went reasonably well, I decided to accept their invitation to visit for two weeks. I thought I had done a good job of explaining that my 15mo child is very hard to redirect and that they should try to limit her access to things they don't want her to touch, but apparently not. They got rid of all the family room furniture during the move, so everything is the antique stuff from the formal sitting room. My daughter is not supposed to touch any of it, and I'm supposed to carry a 28 pound child up and down the stairs for every snack and meal so she eats it on the deck on the second floor. I have bad knees and my back is killing me from having to carry her around everywhere. My father flipped out when she hit a toy against the coffee table before i could stop her and has refused to speak to me for 3 days. I asked my mom why she's letting him treat us like this and she basically told me off for "being obnoxious" for letting my daughter eat food in the kitchen and touch the coffee table (when she had been playing gently up until then). I just want to know if they're being unreasonable. I've been in my room crying and they don't drive me back until Sunday. At this point, I don't even want to talk to them for a while. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2uru9Mp

No comments:

Post a Comment