Monday 26 June 2017

My son is 5 and we have already had multiple behaviour issues at school... I'm at my wits end and feel like I'm failing him


I just want to preface this by saying I've never posted here before so I hope this is ok/the right subreddit.My son started JK this previous September. According to his teachers he's "extremely intelligent" and "could easily hold his own with a grade one class". However, we have been having multiple issues with his behaviour towards other children, and it's starting to become a constant stressor on everyone.Here are just a few of the issues we've had: -stabbed a child with a pencil -bit a child's face -threatened to kill a child -spits at children constantlyThese are just the last month or so. We have gotten at least 2 calls home a week every week since the start of school. He's also been sent home twice because his behaviour was so out of control they couldn't handle him. The other kids avoid him, their parents are angry, and my husband and I are out of options and ideas.We have him seeing a child psychiatrist, we've gone to multiple appointments, we've made phone calls and showed up at school and tried to contact other parents to apologize. We've tried various punishments, long talks with him about being a good friend etc. He's gone to daycare and didn't have issues there, but at achoool he turns into another kid.He's always been a "busy" child and he's always had a bit of temper but the violence didn't start until school started. I'm honestly so frustrated and exhausted and have no idea what to do anymore. We've always tried to teach him kindness- he donates toys to charity, watches his dad go out of his way to help the homeless etc. It sucks to be "that parent" - the one where everyone questions your abilities and quickly pulls their child away from yours. I can tell his teachers are exhausted and fed up with the situation. It's been one freaking year and I already feel like there's no "light at the end of the tunnel." I lay awake at night stressing that he's so intelligent but despises school, he's going to become the school bully or the outcast, he's not going to have any friends. I'm so heartbroken for my little man.I guess I'm just reaching out for advice or maybe just to vent. Has anyone else been through this? Is my son going to turn out ok or are we setting him up for failure now? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2rVuHt6

No comments:

Post a Comment