Monday 26 June 2017

First big scare yesterday, just need to vent.


tl;dr 3 yo nearly ran out in front of a truck.So we live in the countryside but the road out front is very busy. We have absolutely drilled it into my son about how dangerous the road is and even when we get near the gate he says "dont go on the road dada, its dangerous"Of course, the gate is kept closed 95% of the time but yesterday we were preparing to head out, my sons grandmother was there to drop off something so we told her to leave the gate open as we'll be heading in 5 mins. Anyways, i was putting stuff into the car, grandma was just out of the gate when my son took to running after her. I didnt notice until he was about 40 or 50 feet from me so I just took off yelling at him to stop but i paniced him more and he just made a beeline for the gate.I cant express that feeling of dread that washed over me, i knew if he just kept going straight he would run right into the road but i had to keep running. It all felt like an age but it was only a few seconds.Thankfully he had enough sense to turn away from the road (he was 3 ft from it) and i grabbed him. Well, Im still feeling guilty about how i shouted at him and i know I should not have but that was just the fright in me and the pure love I have for him.My wife saw the whole thing from the house, she was very shaken too but she put him on the naughty step for 3 mins so as to reinforce the rule about not going onto the road. I know i made my own mistakes but i had no option but to chase him, a truck went by just as i grabbed him and thats what i cant get out of my head, if things went even a slight bit differently he would not be here today...christ.We've been saving for automatic gates for a while so i think we'll make them more a priority now. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2s8TcHo

No comments:

Post a Comment