Saturday 30 July 2016

Youth is wasted on the young


rantAnyone else feel this way?I expose my kids aged 8-10 to all sorts of experiences (travel, activities, sports, camps, etc.) that I was never privy too, but when asked what they like best, it's always "watching YouTube" or playing "iPad". They could sit on the couch and do that all.day.long.I recall when I was that age, I'd go to the library and read for hours. I got my first computer around that time -- which was pretty awesome of my parents -- and ended up learning to program and make my own games.Now, I'm probably a bad parent (i.e. this is all my fault) for enabling my kids with access to an overwhelming amount of technology after falling into the trap that early exposure is a good thing. But, how do I spark a passion for something, anything, in my children?I'm worried that when they grow up, they'll lack the grit and fortitude to make it... Unless professional YouTube viewer becomes a thing. What's the right course? No more iPads cold turkey?Anyone else feel this way? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2ayVRiB

No comments:

Post a Comment