Saturday 30 July 2016

Do you let a 7yo develop friendships organically or do you set up opportunities to make friends?


My 7 yo daughter is fun, smart and creative *typical I'd imagine for most 7 yo girls. She just finished first grade. She had three pre-arranged times where she got together with 2 different girls from her class during first grade because she asked me to set it up for her.Over this summer I'm home with her and her brother (4 yo) and half the time we also have her step siblings with us too (sister is also 7 yo and brother is 5 yo). So most days she has lots of people around. She's asked me once to set up a time to hang out with a friend, which is going to happen in August. But otherwise she really isn't all that interested in seeing other kids outside of school. During school she is in a hip hop dance group, attends after school program and seems to say goodbye to lots of kids. But outside of those situations should I be expecting her to want to see other kids?I don't ever remember my parents setting times for me to make friends. I had neighborhood friends as a kid. We live in a complex and are moving to a new one in August where more kids from school live. A bit about me is that I work full time and am not the most involved as far as school parents go...I'm not all that friendly with many other parents.My question is, should I be trying to set up more social opportunities for her, or should I wait until she asks? I don't want to force her if she's not ready but I also don't want to let her miss out. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2ajZ8FF

No comments:

Post a Comment