Saturday 30 July 2016

How to get my point accross without yelling?


I have a 4yo boy. It's usually just me and him cuz my wife works nights.Anyway, we have fun. We play games. We color. We go outside and play catch. We do some basic chores (he feeds the dog and helps with dishes). We have a lot of fun together.But I end up yelling a lot to get my point accross. And I hate yelling! I'm not an angry guy.Here's an example:We were just coloring. We spent about 30 mins coloring. I did several pages in my book, he did several in his. But now I'm done coloring and I want to go do something else. So I tell him,"That was fun! You made so many good pictures [blah blah blah you get it]. We're all done coloring for the day. I'm gonna go in the kitchen to clean up a bit. Just stay in your room and play with your toys for a while""Color!" He says"Nope. We're all done for now. We'll color again later"He starts whining, "Cuhhhhh-looooor!!!""Buddy" (I ALWAYS call him "buddy") "We are done coloring for now. Don't ask again, okay?""... color" he moans, as he shoves a coloring book toward me"That's enough, buddy. Put the books away. I'm going in the kitchen"He follows me into the kitchen, with his book."Color. Pleeeease?? Hey, color pleeeease???""NO!!!" I shout, "No! We are DONE coloring!!! Stop asking! We will color again some other time, but I have other things to do!! Now, go in your room and do something else!!"And then I feel like a jerk. He just wants to do something with me. He's not trying to be bad or annoying. He seriously considers me his best friend and he wants to hang with me. But I don't always have time! I have to sweep and mop the kitchen. That's a chore we can't do together. He'd just be in the way and I want to get it done.But yelling is the only way I get my point accross. I try suggesting other things. I try turning on the TV. I try everything I know to try. But when he's decided he wants to color with me, the only way I can get him to understand that it's not gonna happen is by yelling.It's not just coloring, either. It's every activity that we do together. He never wants to stop when its time to stop.Any ideas on how I can get him to understand without yelling? I hate yelling. It's just not my thing. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2a7YjP3

No comments:

Post a Comment