Sunday 31 July 2016

Safe to move into a house built before 1979?


We're looking at a great place (to rent) - price is PHENOMENAL for the area, some of the best schools in the state, great backyard, neighborhood, etc...but the house was built in 1970 and I know that lead is a concern for houses built before 1979. The reason we're getting such a great deal on the house is because it's what the realtor calls a "time capsule", as in ugly ass floral wallpaper, thick shag carpet (burgundy, which is great because it hides stains!) and everyone who has looked at it has been put off by its appearance, which doesn't bother us. They have not done any major renovations since they bought the house in 1980, from what I understand.They've done radon testing and everything has been cleared but they will not let us get the house lead tested because apparently the pros use some sort of laser (??) that will pick up the presence of lead underneath the wallpaper and encapsulating layers of paint, so it will test positive no matter what. I'm really not sure what to make of that but was planning on doing some of the 5 minute 3M Lead Checks on our next walk-through to see if there was anything on the surface, though I know for older windows and doors, residual lead can enter the air as particles every time they're opened/closed. On the next walkthrough we're planning on checking extra-hard to make sure the wallpaper is solidly applied, no peeling or flaking paint, etc, but I'm still nervous.We have a 2 year old and a 4 month old and will likely have another in the next year or two so I'm not sure what to do. I know people buy and rent homes built in the lead-paint era all the time and there are obvious things we can look for, but it's the not-so obvious stuff I'm worried about (I've read that it may be necessary to wipe down surfaces much more frequently to clean off dust particles off toys, etc), and I'd love to hear from other parents with experience in older homes, what you guys have looked for, what you've done, any lead-related experiences you may have, etc. I've found info that seems to be all over the place online, have tried to contact a lead expert to do a walk through with me (no word just yet), have tried to reach out to LeadFreeAmerica, etc. and I just feel like I'm in over my head in terms of making a decision that could affect my kids for the rest of their lives in a relatively quick span of time. There's no chance we'd get a house this big or in as great a neighborhood for this price again but I also don't want to take any unnecessary risks with their health. Any insight would be super helpful...TIA. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2aTL69q

No comments:

Post a Comment