Friday 29 July 2016

Do you force your children to call adults they are familiar with 'sir' and 'ma'am?'


I would just like to get the perspective of some other parents. I was raised to treat those in authority with respect, and I tell my children to say ma'am and sir to people like their teachers, school resource officer, etc. I also prefer that if they are having a conversation with an adult that they do not know, that they use sir or ma'am. My general policy is if they wonder whether they should use one of these terms, it is safer to just use it.However I was not raised in a strict household and was never required to call my parents or uncles and aunts or close family friends sir or ma'am. I just feel like you should be comfortable enough with your family that you do not have to use these words to show respect. I don't feel like you have to acknowledge an older family member's authority in literally every time you speak with them as a child.My brother-in-law feels differently, and when I am not around he tells my children to call him sir, and for context I have an 8 year old son and a 15 year old daughter.How do you folks feel about this? I would like for my children to use it when it is appropriate but at the same time I just feel like as relaxed as all of my families households are, it's a little strange to have one person continually tell your children to call them sir. I am also not sure whether to just tell my kids not to worry about it or whatever because I hate to tell them to just ignore him. My kids are respectful, don't get me wrong, but to me that is a pretty much meaningless sign of respect.Whether you agree with me or not I appreciate your input. I just want other people's perspectives. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2aCis0j

No comments:

Post a Comment