Thursday 28 July 2016

Another parent accidentally "cheated" for a school fundraiser drawing but I believe she genuinely didn't mean to. My daughter figured it out. Not sure how to teach her to go about this situation carefully.


My daughter's school recently held a fundraiser event, and one of the events was a series of table of drawings you could enter. Each jar was at different price points - different tickets were good for jars. There was one $10 mystery prize jar that was very unpopular because (a) ten bucks a ticket and (b) you don't know what the prize is.One woman and her daughter played a game and won 10 $1 tickets. From what I understand, the mother didn't completely understand what was going on and went and put them in the nearest jar (the $10 jar). There were only about 20 tickets purchased for that jar (so a pretty small pool) and her name was pulled. She and her daughter won what turned out to be an awesome prize and her daughter was absolutely, positively thrilled. I have never seen that kid so happy. The mother was very excited too and was telling a few of us parents how amazing this was, that she didn't even understand the game, etc.Now some background info...this small family (mother and daughter) is struggling very much financially (mother has cancer) and I also know that the mother cannot read.The ticket had a paragraph of instructions about finding the table with the matching $ amount, but the tables were only labeled on one side. In my opinion part of the issue here is that the organization of the drawings was poor and that contributed to the problem here. They also didn't notice when they drew the ticket that it was a $1 ticket (they should have noticed, realized it was the wrong ticket type and then drawn again...)Anyhow, my daughter was doing a lot of counting and organizing afterward (I was in charge of coming up with numbers/facts/figures on how much the fundraiser cost, how much we profited, what percentage of families participated etc.) and figured out that this woman put $1 tickets in the $10 jar. She came to me last night telling me this woman cheated, we had to get the prize back and draw a new winner, etc. I told her to give me all the tickets and information and then I'd take a look and see what I find since we don't want to make a mistake.Not sure what to do now. I am proud of my daughter for finding a mistake and wanting to make it right but I feel the situation is also sensitive.I know this is probably the wrong place for this. But the thing is, if my daughter weren't involved and I had just noticed this on my own, I would just leave it alone and forget about it. With my daughter involved I'm concerned about what she takes away from the situation.. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2a7xsOG

No comments:

Post a Comment