Wednesday 27 July 2016

5 year old tyrant. I need some help


My 5 1/2 year old has been acting very rude and entitled lately. We're not sure what to do about it because we're not sure how we might be contributing to his behavior.If he doesn't want to do something, he won't. If we compel him to, he screams and carries on and tries to cut deals. This is over anything from doing small favors (hey, could you bring this to Daddy please?) to helping clean up toys or even walking somewhere. I'm literally afraid to go on walks because if he decides he's tired, he might just sit down and then scream like crazy if I walk on without him. (And he's 60ish pounds, and he's not my only child so I can't just carry him home.)Typically our plan of enforcement is: immediate consequences, time out, loss of privileges, and none of that is enough. This last week he needed rest badly and the fight to get him up to bed was nasty, and he only went because j threatened to throw away his favorite toys. It felt ridiculous because he wasn't even using them at the time, but it's like I need am emotional crowbar to make him cooperated.Is this a normal phase or is there something we can do? He isn't always horrible but when it comes to anything he doesn't want to do, he can ruin an entire afternoon over the smallest thing. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2adNRUC

No comments:

Post a Comment