Thursday 28 July 2016

For parents who aren't "baby people," when does parenting become enjoyable?


Just curious. My son is almost 9 months. He was planned and is loved. He is a happy and relatively easy baby. He didn't have colic, eats well, and is a good sleeper. My husband and I are incredibly lucky that he is healthy and happy. We are also so lucky to have my mom as a nanny part time for 3 days and the other days, my husband takes care of him. I work full time but have a good schedules. Generally I spend 2 hours with him before work and then an hour or so after work. On weekends, I am the primary caregiver so my husband gets a break.We mix things up and we will go to the playground or to a restaurant and generally just get out of the house and do things on weekends. But part of me thinks there's something broken inside me that I don't just enjoy hanging out and playing with my baby for a sustained period of time. I do plenty to engage with him, read books, sing songs, make silly noises, but it's just all so tedious and monotonous and I feel like my brain is rotting. You know how people say that everything is amazing when it's your own kid and see them grow and learn? I'm not sure I feel that way and I just want him to less of a baby and more somebody I can communicate with. My husband may go back to work full time for his own sanity and I support that if that's what he wants to do. I feel guilty. So many people have difficult babies, no help or financial issues and we have none of that and somehow, we don't enjoy hanging out with our baby. We love him, we are clearly bonded and attached, but it's just not fun. I really want it to become fun. When does that happen?P.s. I was screened for PPD and doc said I showed no signs of it. I don't feel anxious or overwhelmed or depressed. I don't resent my baby. I just want to enjoy spending time with him the same way I enjoy spending time with my husband and even dog. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2axEq3m

No comments:

Post a Comment