Friday 29 July 2016

How do you tell a 4 year old that his baby brother will not be arriving?


NOTE: This post is to ask for assistance. If you are here to judge, please start another post and I can engage there instead.We learned a few weeks ago that our baby boy has a fatal condition. After going through all the tests, reading through all the literature, all the forums for parents-to-be with the same situation, the risks to my wife, and the recommendations of all the medical professionals, we scheduled the termination next week.Has any of you been in this or a similar position? How do you break this news to a 4 year old sweet little girl who is so fond of her younger brother and declared herself lucky because she's gonna have a second baby brother?We were anticipating a happy Christmas season, and now instead we'll be mourning the loss of our third child.One of my favorite memories of the birth of our second child was my daughter holding him for the first time. She was ever so gentle with him, with a smile that just conveyed the happiness and love she felt for the new addition to our family.Every day she demonstrates to us several Big Sister traits that never fail to warm my heart and make me beam with pride. She has been looking forward to another baby, and I know she'll be heartbroken when she learns that the baby is not coming.Part of me is hoping she'll be too young to remember any of this - her mother and I will carry the memory of her third brother all our lives - but knowing her, I know she's not likely to forget.I fear part of her happy glow will fade, her positive disposition will lessen, her optimism at life diminish. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2agm2tC

No comments:

Post a Comment