Friday 29 July 2016

Breaking my preschooler's "scripted" conversations


A while back I took my 3.5 year old on a "nature walk", and he noticed that there were little holes in the leaves. I walked him through the thought process concluding that caterpillars must have eaten them. As an entomologist, I was thrilled by his curiosity.Fast forward a couple months and every damn time we go on this walk he immediately gravitates to the holey leaves and repeats this conversation with himself, like he's reciting lines from a play. I've tried showing him other neat things ("Hey look, this leaf is all rolled up! Who do you think did that? Let's find out!") but it just bounces right off him. I think the only thing he is absolutely certain of in this world is that caterpillars eat leaves.Is there some other way of redirecting him? Why is he so obsessed with this one fact? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2af0hKJ

No comments:

Post a Comment