Wednesday 30 October 2019

Where is the balance between the stay at home parent and the working parent?


Sometimes I get frustrated with my husband because I feel like he doesn’t help me enough, but I don’t know what I should and shouldn’t ask for because I get to stay home and he works. For example, for the last week and a half or so, our 16 month old has been waking up at roughly 12:30am and falling back asleep at around 4:30am. I’m not sure why he’s doing it (I think teething), but it’s exhausting. I’m 28 weeks pregnant so I’m extra tired. On night six of this happening, I told DH if our son woke up again I was going to have him get up with him so I could sleep. He told me no because he had to get up for work and I didn’t. This really got under my skin. I respect my husband’s work, but he’s a professor and his schedule allows him to be home by noon if need be. It wouldn’t have been fun, but I feel like he could have gotten up with our son so I could get some sleep and made it through his work day. Especially since I had already done it for five nights (and have since done it for five more).I get that it’s hard to understand that stay-at-home moms don’t just sit at home all day. When you’re working you don’t really account for the laundry/cleaning/cooking/etc. However, even when he’s home my husband doesn’t do any of the “hard” parenting stuff. He never changes diapers, never gives baths, doesn’t feed him meals, and can’t put him to sleep because I still let him nurse to sleep. These are all just things I do because I’m the stay at home parent. I’m just getting nervous about having this load on me with another baby due in January. Is it my job to do literally everything on my own because I don’t make money? I’m genuinely asking. Where is the balance there?TLDR; How much should I ask my husband to help with our kids considering he works and I stay home?Edit: I hope this didn’t make my husband sound like a dick. He is truly an amazing man, an awesome partner and father, and I wouldn’t want anyone else doing this with me! We’re just figuring it all out together! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/33aTtru

No comments:

Post a Comment