Wednesday 30 October 2019

Troubled Teenager


Hey everyone, new to this sub, I will get right down to it. This may turn into a long post as we are having a lot of issues with him. My wife and I don't know what to do to help him.I have a 14 year old step son, my wife and I do not have full custody of him, but he is with us a decent amount of time (on the weekends, holidays, school break, etc.). Over the past year or so, maybe longer, we have noticed a shift in his behavior. He has always sort of acted out, but it is now becoming a problem.Last Christmas my SS's uncle bought him a game via Playstation. He linked his credit card to my SS's account and bought the game. He forgot to delete his card info from the PS, and a few months later (we will say March), my SS racked of $500 in in game purchases. It was a nightmare, he denied, denied, denied, but then finally fessed up to it. He was at his dad's house during the time it happened. His Dad and Step mom took his Playstation and he still does not have it back. We made him do chores for a while, but he half-assed them. We have 3 other kids, two being twin toddlers, so it's a lot to handle sometimes. Not trying to make an excuse, we let him off way too easy.Fast forward to a few weeks ago. He was staying at his grandma's house with his sister, who has a PlayStation. Sister went to bed around 10, stepson stayed up until 4 playing Fortnite. The next morning his sister's dad called my wife freaking out stating that over $900 was missing from his account, and the bank froze his account.Once again, SS denied, denied, denied, and finally admitted to stealing the money for in game purchases. So this bring the total to around $1500.Fast forward to last night, we learn that he was suspended from school yesterday due to slapping a girls butt, and trying to fight a guy in the hallway (he is a Freshman in HS). On top of all of this, his best friend and next door neighbor is missing $180 cash. I have a hard time not thinking my step son did this as well.​We don't know what to do, we are looking at boarding schools, we are looking at military schools (I am a Marine Corps vet). We started therapy a few weeks ago, but I think he will just tell the shrink what he thinks the shrink wants to hear.​I am looking for advice, from any parent that has gone through this sort of thing before. What can we do? This is serious stuff, and if he stays on this course, it will not end well for him or his future.I'm sure I left out some details so just ask and I will accommodate. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2N3x229

No comments:

Post a Comment